At some point, when refurbishing your home, you will need to replace your bedroom door because it is old, or you want to get a new trending design. In this case, you would like to know how much does a bedroom door cost to be able to plan towards getting a new one.
Bedroom doors cost between $100 – $500. The average cost is $300. The price depends on the type of bedroom door, material, size, and whether it is a single or double door. Bedroom doors could cost as low as $50 for void core doors or simple flush doors and up to $1000 for more stylish, modern doors like French doors or Bifold doors.
Replacing your bedroom door is not an extreme sport. It is a task you can handle. In this article, you will learn how to replace your bedroom door, determine what size to purchase, and measure a bedroom door.
How Much Does A Bedroom Door Cost?
Your bedroom’s cost depends on the style, design, size, and material used. You could get a simple flush bedroom door for $150, and a classic french or double door could go for $500 – $1200. A non-standard customized bedroom door will be more expensive, depending on the style and design.
Cost of bedroom door by type:
- A bifold door costs an average of $100 – $2000, depending on the number of panels, the material used, and the design.
- A flush door costs an average of $50 – $200, depending on the material and size.
- French doors cost between $500 – $800, depending on the size, size, and material used.
- Pocket doors cost between $100 – $1000, depending on the size and material used.
- You can get a panel door for $50 – $500, depending on the size, design, and material.
- Double doors are not exactly double the price of single doors. Depending on the size, material, and design, you can get a double door for $300 – $1000.
Is Replacing A Bedroom Door Easy?
Replacing a bedroom door with a new one could be tricky, but with the right tools, an instruction guide, and some grit, it is a process you can carry out on your own. All you need to do is remove the old door, cut the new door to size using the old one as a template, and attach the new one.
You can easily replace your bedroom door if you are patient and follow the proper steps.
Also, the task’s simplicity depends on whether you are getting a pre-hung door or just a slab. Even experts prefer pre-hung doors as they come with the door frame already attached to the frame and other hardware already installed.
With a pre-hung door, all one needs to do is attach the frame to the wall opening, and it’s ready. Although slab doors are cheaper, when you consider the cost of getting the wood for the frame and other hardware, it is almost the exact cost of getting a pre-hung door.
Installation of slab doors is also more task and time-consuming, especially for amateurs, as you will need to prepare the frame and install other hardware.
To replace your bedroom door, you will need to get the following tools:
- Utility knife
- Tape measure
- Drill bit
- Circular saw
- Combination square
Steps To Replace Your Bedroom Door
Part 1: Remove The Old Door
- Start the process by closing the door, allowing your space to remove the hinge pin easily. Have someone hold the door firmly so it does not topple on you.
- The hinge pin is the metal bar that runs through the hollow of the hinge. Use the screwdriver to apply pressure on the bottom of the hinge pin until it pops up and out from the other end. You will need to apply more pressure to remove an old hinge pin. If your hinge does not have a pin, please skip this part.
- Using the screwdriver, remove the screws of the hinge to free the door slab from the frame. Start with the bottom hinge to the top, so the door does not fall on you. Save the hinge and its screws in a good place for reuse later.
- Once the hinge is unscrewed, the door will come off on its own; carefully remove the door from its frame and place it on a flat surface.
- Unscrew the doorknob and remove all the internal components embedded in the door.
Part 2: Measure Your New Door Using The Old Door As Template
- If your door is a replica of the old door in terms of height and size, then you can skip this part. But if your new door is a bit larger, place it on a flat surface, put the old one on it, and align the doorknob holes of both doors. Using a pencil, outline the old door on the new door to get the right size.
NOTE: If your new door is smaller, you must get a new one.
- Lift the old door from the new one and cut off the excesses following the outline. The new door should be the same size as the old one.
Part 3: Attach Hinges To The New Door
- Lay the old door into the new one again and ensure all four edges are well aligned. With the combination square, transfer the location of the old door mortise to the new door. Use a pencil or utility knife to trace out the hinge mortise.
- Using a chisel and a hammer, make a series of closely spaced cuts about a quarter-inch deep into the traced mortise, making it easier to chisel out the mortise.
- Hold the chisel at a low angle, and using the hammer to tap on it, chisel out the wood to make a mortise. Chisel until the mortise is perfectly made and the hinge fits into it. You can use sandpaper to make the mortise flush.
- Use the screwdriver to screw the hinge to the mortise in the door. If the mortise happens to be a bit deep, put a cardboard shim or wood chips to make it fit for the hinge.
Part 4: Attach The New Door
- Have someone hold the door in place while you screw the other teeth of the hinge to the mortise on the door jamb. Start with the bottom hinge.
- If your hinge is a pin, hammer in the pin from the top into the hollow this will lock both teeth of the hinge, fitting the door to the frame.
- Install the new doorknob, and your new door is ready.
How Do I Know What Size Bedroom Door To Buy?
The size of the bedroom door to buy depends on the size of the wall opening. However, the standard width of a single bedroom door is between 24 – 32 inches. The standard height of bedroom doors is 80 inches. You could sometimes alternate this standard size for reasons like your apartment being too small or large.
The door should be 1 ⅜ inch thick. Doors above 36 inches wide or 90 inches high will be 1 ¾ thick. Hence, you can have doors as short as 78 inches and as narrow as 24 inches. You could also have wide bedroom doors that are 36 inches wide.
Here are some factors to consider when choosing the size of your bedroom door:
- The Wall Opening: This is an essential factor to consider, as you would not want to get a door that is too small or larger than the wall opening. Get a professional to measure the wall opening and tell you what door size would fit.
- The Height Of Dwellers: Getting a door that is convenient for home dwellers is essential. A 78-inch tall bedroom door will be inconvenient for a person tall than a 6’6.
- Available Space: The size of the home and available space are important factors to consider when choosing your bedroom door size. Using a 36 inches wide door in a small bedroom is unnecessary and time-consuming.
- Foot Traffic: For homes with many dwellers and high foot traffic, it is necessary to get wide doors. A narrow door would get people bumping into each other.
How Do You Measure A Bedroom Door?
Measure a bedroom door is not as basic as you think. Yes, it involves using tape to measure the door’s height and width of the door, but there is more to it. Here are steps to measure your bedroom door accurately.
Step 1: Measure The Width
- Run a tape measure horizontally, from the left corner to the right corner, and take note of this number. To get the precise width, you should measure at least three points, top, middle, and bottom. Measure only the door slab itself and not other components like weather stripping.
The standard bedroom door width is 32 inches.
Step 2: Measure The Height
- Run the tape measure vertically from top to bottom and note the number. Take this measurement at three different points. If the numbers are different, record the most significant figure.
The standard bedroom door height is 80 inches.
Step 3: Measure The Door’s Thickness
- Hold the tape measure to the edge of the door and take note of the figure. It would be best if you did the same on the door jamb. These numbers should be the same.
The standard thickness for a bedroom door is 1.75 inches.
Step 4: Measure Other Components
- Measure the location of all the hinges. To do this, run the tape measure from the top of the door to the top of each hinge. Then measure the height and width of each hinge mortise.
- Measure the position of the doorknob; run the tape measure from the top of the door to the center of the doorknob. You should remove the doorknob first to get the correct location of the bore.
Just to be safe, you can measure the framed door space where the door itself will fit. Follow the same steps above. These measurements will help you get the right door size for your bedroom door replacement.
What Are The Best Doors For Bedrooms?
When it comes to the choice of a bedroom door, it should depend on your budget, style, floor space, and personal preference. If you want a touch of class, you could use a french door for your master room. A flush or panel door is homely, simple, and the most commonly used bedroom door designed to slide or swing open.
Some homeowners even go the expensive but sturdy barn doors. Here is a list of the best doors for bedrooms:
1. Flush Doors
There are the cheapest, most straightforward, and most popular designs of bedroom doors. It is a solid one-piece door that comes in varying designs and materials and can be stained or painted for a custom look. This door is strong, durable, and can withstand heavy foot traffic.
2. Panel Doors
Panel doors are solid one-piece doors constructed by joining different panels or rails which may run vertically or horizontally. Unlike flush doors, panel doors are more appealing and also inexpensive. They can be custom-made using varying materials and can be stained or painted to blend with your home’s interior decor. It could also be designed to slide or swing open.
3. French Doors
French doors are not just exterior doors but a classic and stunning choice for bedroom doors. They are primarily made of horizontally arranged glass panes which is why most homeowners use them just for the master room, mainly because the fitted glass panes provide a unique visual connection. It is also perfect for bedrooms with large doorways, floor space, and rooms that open to a patio or balcony.
4. Pocket Doors
Pocket doors are a smart option for bedroom doors, especially for rooms with narrow doorways and small floor space, and are POCKET DOORS. Pocket doors are designed like sliding doors, but the door panel slides into a cavity in the wall, conserving floor space. Since the track is embedded in the wall, maintenance and repairs are expensive. It is best for children’s bedrooms.
5. Bifold Doors
Bi-fold doors use the mechanism of hinges to attach two or more doors. The doors are designed to fold together when opened, thereby conserving space. It can be made of several materials like wood, metal, vinyl, etc. It is the best choice for a room with little floor space.
6. Double Doors
They are two vertical doors that close when they meet at the center of the frame. It could be made of wood, glass, aluminum, etc. You could make it slide or swing open just like french doors. It is a grand and aesthetic choice for bedroom doors. It is perfect for rooms with broad doorways and ample floor space. You could customize them to different colors, designs, styles, and sizes to suit your preference.
How Do You Measure A Bedroom Door?
Measuring your bedroom door is a walkover task. You only need a measuring tape with a pen and notebook to write down measurements. Follow the steps below to measure your bedroom door.
- Measure your door’s width by placing a measuring tape from one end to the other. Run the tape horizontally on your door’s top, middle, and bottom.
- Measure your door’s height by placing tape vertically, from top to base.
- Measure your door’s thickness by placing tape at the edge.
- Measure the doorframe’s height and width to get a door that will fit into the doorframe.
What Are The Best Doors For Bedrooms?
The kind of door you want for your bedroom depends on your budget, available space, and taste. If your budget is high, you can get a more durable and solid door; the same applies to your taste. There are many kinds of bedroom door materials:
Hollow-Core Bedroom Doors
Hollow-core doors are made from lightweight materials like plywood or composite. Hollow doors are easy to mount. They have hollow interiors and are budget-friendly. Hollow-core doors are vulnerable to damage and destruction from insect infestation and dings; they provide less sound insulation.
Solid-core Bedroom Doors
Solid core doors are made from solid wood. They are durable and insulate sound better than hollow-core doors. solid-core doors are more expensive than hollow-core doors; house owners will pay a higher price for a more durable door.
Questions You May Want To Know
How Much Is A Standard Door?
The cost of the door you want to buy depends on the door style and whether it will just be the door slab or it will be a prehung door. A standard door will cost between $150 and $600, while you may buy standard pre-hung doors between $50 and $200.
How Long Does It Take To Replace A Door And Frame?
Replacing a door alone can take about 4 to 6 hours. Then when you are replacing a door and frame, it can take about 5 to 8 hours. The whole process involves removing an aged, damaged, or warped door and replacing it with a new door.
How Much Does An Interior Door Cost?
Interior doors are cheap, easy to install, and require less maintenance. Pre-hung doors will cost about $150, while sliding glass doors will cost between $300 to $1,700. Interior doors are generally not expensive. However, the cost of doors differs and is affected by material, type, size, hardware, labor fee, and model.
How Much Does It Cost To Replace A Door And Frame?
Replacing a door frame will cost between $329 and $487, including the door frame, labor fee, and supplies, while replacing a door is between $200 and $1,800 – these prices are for basic doors and frames. The cost will be higher if you want any customized design or features like a security camera, sidelight, or hardware.